Project: Strengthening Democracy through Media LiteracyJun 1, 2020
Locality: Imereti, Samegrelo
When: From 2020 until 2021
Donors: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, Transition
Project Partner: Terjola Municipal Youth Center
Overall Objective: To increase media literacy skills and critical thinking among Georgian youth to empower them to actively engage in community issues and democratic processes.
Specific Objective: To enhance capacity of stakeholders in Imereti and Samegrelo regions of Georgia to promote media literacy education among youth.
Project Area and Target Group: The project is implemented in Imereti and Samegrelo regions. The local target group includes four youth NGOs and two municipal youth centres.
Project Beneficiaries: Youth-based organizations in target regions, Municipal Youth Centres, Media outlets in the region, Civic Education teachers, local youth and General Public.
Main Project activities:
• Develop a methodological guide on media literacy in five films, with a specific focus on media literacy challenges in Georgia.
• Ensure involvement of representatives of the target Regional Resource Centres of the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of Georgia, representatives of the Civic Education Teachers' Forum and the Center for Professional Development of Learners in the development of the study guide.
• Capacity building of representatives of youth NGOs and Municipal Youth Centres through media literacy documentaries.
• Awareness raising of local media representatives of the target regions in the field of media literacy.
• Implement joint initiatives by youth groups and local media outlets to support media literacy in their communities.